This introductory workshop is designed for those new to counselling or those wishing to enhance their general helping skills. The workshop provides an opportunity to acquire basic communication skills and practical strategies to help people. Participants will learn about the process of counselling and using a problem-solving model, how to work with clients to identify issues and implement plans and activities to address areas of concern. This is an interactive and experiential training where participants will work through scenarios, activities and role plays that will help them enhance their helping skills.
This is an introductory level workshop intended for caregivers without previous clinical training who wish to develop basic counselling skills.
Method of Delivery
Lecture, video, personal reflection, demonstration of skills, skill development and small group discussion
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe steps in a counselling process.
- Apply communication and listening skills in helping roles.
- Understand how personal beliefs affect being a helper.
- Utilize questions and activities to help clients identify goals.
- Apply a problem-solving model of intervention to situations.
- Implement practical strategies for helping others.